Carpal Tunnel syndrome is a condition where the median nerve in the wrist becomes compressed causing pain, tingling or numbness in the wrists, hands or fingers. There may be difficulty in holding or gripping objects. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by local inflammation of tendons and the surrounding area but is also often in the later stages of pregnancy and as a complication of thyroid disorders.
Acupuncture works by invigorating the flow of qi and blood throughout the area in order to relieve pain, reduce inflammation and promote the body’s own healing ability. With associated techniques of electro-acupuncture and cupping, the best results can often be achieved.
Often succeeding where physiotherapy cannot, acupuncture is very effective in the treatment of this condition. A course of 4-6 treatments can often see the problem resolved. Carpal Tunnel syndrome is one of the conditions which the World Health Organization states can be effectively treated with acupuncture
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome presentation can include:
- Waking at night with tingling and numbness in the part of the hand that gets its nerve. supply from the median nerve.
- Symptoms that can radiate up the forearm towards the elbow.
- Daytime aggravation of symptoms by increased use of the hand.
- Functional impairment if there is significant loss of feeling (sensation).
- Increased swelling in the hand